Saturday, December 31, 2011

Dr. Thomas Wesley Stumm - My Great Great Uncle

Talk about finding a photo of an ancestor that you have no idea what they look like!!  This photograph of my Great Great Uncle Dr. Thomas Wesley Stumm was one of those finds for me.  I was holding my breath as I scoured the tiny pictures in this "1901 Graduating Class of Rush Medical College".  I knew T.W. graduated in 1901 from Rush Medical College from a small biography written on him. So I was praying he was in this photograph.  AND HE WAS!!!  Yeah I'm yelling...yelling with joy!  Yeah! Yeah!  Yeah! 

I have to add I was half way expecting him to be rather large for several reasons.  First, he died very young of a massive heart attack.  And Second, my Great Great Grandma Amanda Stumm Boren, was very large.  Amanda is Thomas's sister.  Family lore is that she was over 300 lbs. and they had to cut the door off the house to get her out when she died.  Now I want to say that Amanda Stumm was not always large, it is said that when she was younger she was normal size.  But Amanda Stumm Boren had a gland problem that caused her to be soo large.  I also don't know if I believe they had to cut the door off the house because I have one picture of her that she is large...but I feel she would fit through a door.  I have an aunt that wrote a family book.  In that book she says that her Grandma Boren (Amanda) was a clean freak.  (that's my description, not my aunts)  In the book were told that Amanda's house was so spotless that you could eat off her floor.  Why do I mention that?  Because I want everyone to know that although Amanda Stumm Boren may have been fat, Amanda was not lazy!

So here are my pictures of  Dr. Thomas Wesley Stumm and the one and only picture I have of my Great Great Grandma Amanda Stumm Boren.


Graduating Class of 1901
Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois

A little closer view of T.W. Stumm
in the 1901 Graduating Class
Rush Medical College
 Here's a link to Rush Medical College's Digital Collection of Class photos.
http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm4/index_rsh_classp.php?CISOROOT=/rsh_classp
I just love online digital collections! 
While your there check out all of ICarli's digital collections.

T.W. Stumm
1901 Graduation Picture
Rush Medical College
Chicago, Illinois

The Boren Family 1908, Carterville, Illinois
The back of the picture says -
"The Boren Family
Taken 58 years ago in 1908"

Amanda Stumm Boren - Cropped from The Boren Family picture

The Back of the Boren Family picture with names.
Number 6 in the picture is my Great Great Grandma Amanda Boren. Maiden name Stumm.
Number 10 in the picture is my Great Great Grandpa Ephraim Boren. 
Number 3 in the picture is my Great Grandpa James Dallas Boren. 
Number 1 in the picture is my Great Grandma Lulu Boren.  Maiden name Woods.
Number 2 in the picture is my Great Uncle Ralph Clinton Boren. (also a Doctor)
Number 21 in the picture is my Great Aunt Bernice Boren.  Married name Venable.

My Grandpa John Lewis Boren is yet to be born as are 6 other children of James and Lulu (Woods) Boren.

No comments:

Post a Comment